Tuesday 8 February 2011

Westminster asked me what two designers I thought were most influential. Shut up if you dont agree


Rolling in at number one is Erdem. I think the floral patterns are incredible and with dressing like a grandmother and buying everything from a charity shop being such a big hit in the fashion world at the moment, Erdem really hits the nail on the head with its antique blossoms creating a very modern look. I think Erdem's work is so influential because of its tailoring. The shapes the clothes create on the body are like armour. The flowers soften this protective effect but not enough to make the clothes seem puny, thus allowing them to maintain an air of authority and control over the fashion industry. For me the clothing takes the idea of 'girl power' to an entirely new level and provides a mould of its own within the fashion world. Erdem brings popular habits of the fashion business under its wing and gives them a new and fresh outlook, such as the use of bright colours and lace. Each collection is just as flattering as the last and makes use of a variety of textures and techniques such as pleating and contrasting colour silhouettes. An absolutely dominant fashion house.

The second designer that I believe to be the most influential is in fact a fashion house; Balmain. I think of Balmain as a rockstar's Chanel, which is probably why I love it so much. I first fell in love with Balmain's Michael Jackson inspired collection for SS09. I personally enjoy how they have taken a worldwide icon and made them the catalyst to the production of an entire collection of clothing. I think that’s what makes Balmain such an influential house. The current colour palate of red, black, grey and white encourages considerable wearability. A lot of designers create all these glorious clothes but fall down in my opinion at the last hurdle with details such as colour and texture, a sweeping statement, I know. But Balmain keeps alive collection after collection, these clothes which look so effortlessly cool, and dirty yet charming. Other than that what other fashion house could bring back the peddle pusher with such glamour like Balmain. Hello retain and revive!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment