Tuesday 1 March 2011

SASS & BIDE




Coral has always been a colour I hate. But this skirt does it serious justice. I love the weight of this skirt, it looks as if it might be quite a hefty one to carry around on the body, although this distracts not away from it’s pure brilliance. This skirt could be translated into so many different medias, which is what I think proves it to be so alluring. When I say different medias I mean it can remind you of a lot of different things, it could be made of a lot of different things, and it could also inspire you to create a lot of different things. In my case, and with my current project colour being green, the first thing I think of when I see the skirt is grass. Very hoolah-esque, with a slightly modern twist. On the other hand one could look at the skirt and think, ‘car wash!’ because actually it does look a lot like one of those large blue car cleaning giant rolling pins. That said, the skirt also comes in a blue grey.

It is fully lined and made 100% of rayon raffia which is a sort of yarn/ribbon/comes on a spool. Rayon is a manufactured regenerated fibre, which means to those of you who have no idea what I just said that its artificially made. It has a very high luster content (shiney particles) which makes it sheen and look plastic-like. In the textiles world rayon is known as art silk. Self explanatory really. And just to clarify what raffia is, it’s a palm tree from Africa which has a short trunk and leaves which can be up to 60foot long. If you google them they just look like very long pieces of straw. So put the two together and you’ve got homemade leaf-string. The skirt is called ‘The Escapist’. I will leave this up to your own imagination. (But I cant go without telling you my idea as to why it’s got that name…. Maybe because it seems like you have to untie your way out of it, in a sort of escape type motion. Or maybe not.)

Also the collection is called papa sucre which is great because I want a sugar daddy too. Papa sucre is their imaginary friend, but if you ask me clearly some sort of funding, so they dedicated this last collection to him. Nice one slutty man.

No comments:

Post a Comment